So I made the jump to using FreeBSD on the desktop and it’s beginning to grow on me. Some notes.
- I got the Nextcloud client running after running into a bunch of issues with Qt5. This now allows me to keep my files in sync and makes the time on my BSD box that much more productive. Workflow is now enhanced.
- Using XFCE as my desktop with Compiz as a windows manager. I fell in in love with the cube multidesktop feature when I saw it at a Linuxworld years ago.
- Now that I am doing things mostly from the terminal, it gives me the incentive and environment to automate more and more.
- Have to look into some other browsers beyond Chromium and Firefox.
- Once I have rdesktop and xfreerdp, I can manage my MS Windows systems without much issues.
- My previous setup was a Win7 system with 3 monitors. While I could use the same 3 monitors, I realized having 12 (3*4) desktops may have been a bit too much. So now I have two monitors and thus 8 desktops. A major jump in productivity
All in all, a challenging experience, but one that I am glad I did.
The TODO list
- ZFS file system
- Custom launcher(s)
- Custom dashboard