This was on my UVI student web-server website. Amazing how long I have come.
So I made the jump to using FreeBSD on the desktop and it’s beginning to grow on me. Some notes.
- I got the Nextcloud client running after running into a bunch of issues with Qt5. This now allows me to keep my files in sync and makes the time on my BSD box that much more productive. Workflow is now enhanced.
- Using XFCE as my desktop with Compiz as a windows manager. I fell in in love with the cube multidesktop feature when I saw it at a Linuxworld years ago.
- Now that I am doing things mostly from the terminal, it gives me the incentive and environment to automate more and more.
- Have to look into some other browsers beyond Chromium and Firefox.
- Once I have rdesktop and xfreerdp, I can manage my MS Windows systems without much issues.
- My previous setup was a Win7 system with 3 monitors. While I could use the same 3 monitors, I realized having 12 (3*4) desktops may have been a bit too much. So now I have two monitors and thus 8 desktops. A major jump in productivity
All in all, a challenging experience, but one that I am glad I did.
The TODO list
- ZFS file system
- Custom launcher(s)
- Custom dashboard
This book by David Graeber should be read by technologist and anyone who is interested in systems and processes.
I build tools for my use. Hardware, Software, and services. I build not to sell, rent and/or give to others. One cannot solve the problems of others, until she can solve her own.
While I am supporter of Free Software, both beer and freedom, I most importantly support the freedom to do what you want. This is because I don’t want anyone telling me what to do with my life.
If I follow your instructions, know that it is because I deem it in my own best interest. Our goals have been aligned. Nothing more, nothing less.
Automata theory is the study of abstract machines and automata, as well as the computational problems that can be solved using them. It is a theory in theoretical computer science and discrete mathematics (a subject of study in both mathematics and computer science). The word automata (the plural of automaton) comes from the Greek word αὐτόματα, which means “self-acting”.
The moment that humans can be recreated by either robots, biological clones and/or combination, entertainment stars will not die. In fact they will have found the “fountain of youth”
Their estates will keep them around and you can invest in them since they will be will be traded on the wall street.
Today’s flavor of capitalism is increasingly about the flow of data and arbitrage determined by who has it,who doesn’t and the who can process it.
A great video on electronic devices and their frailness.